Traditional Armenian dances
The art of dance is one of the most important elements of any national culture.From the fifth to the third millennia B.C there are rock paintings of scenes of country dancing in the highest regions of Armenia, the land of Ararat.
Nowdays traditional dancing is still popular, and it is a unique combination of beautiful movements and colors.
All dancers wear a traditional costume to embody the history of their culture and tell their ancestors’ stories.
There are too many traditional dances in Armenia,and the most popular ones are :
- ‘’Kochari”-It is danced in a group of men and women and is known for its tune played on the zurna.
- “Shalakho” is a dance for men from ancient Armenia.
- “Yakhushta” is a martial dance from the Taron and Aghdznik regions of Western Armenia.
- “Berd” is a dance famous for having a circle of men standing on the shoulders of another circle and rotate.”Berd” means
- “fortress” in Armenian and is named accordingly because of the shape the dancers make.
- “Harsnapar”- The translation of the word “harsnapar” is “the dance of the bride”. The bride dances solo and may possibly feauture the bridesmaids.